Wage and Hour Seminar: Avoiding Pitfalls in California Employment
Please join Andrew Shalauta, co-chair of Donahue Fitzgerald’s employment practice group, for a complimentary breakfast seminar on current legal issues impacting employers. This seminar will provide strategies to employers on best workplace practices for their specific company, maintaining compliance with state and federal laws, and company policies that reduce the risk of lawsuits. We will be discussing:
- How should we classify our employees under current California law? Exempt or non-exempt? What is the legal test in California? How does that impact wages, salary, employment benefits, and leave time under California and federal laws? When can we deduct salary?
- Can my company still use independent contractors? What is the current legal test? How can my company comply with the test? Is the test different with the Employment Development Department (EDD), Workers Compensation Appeals Board (WCAB), federal agencies, other state agencies, and civil court?
- California’s Wage Orders and what they mean for your company policies and practices, and legal compliance; what does a company have to monitor to comply?
- Who is an employee? Types of workers including independent contractors, temporary employees, volunteers, and paid interns, and laws that apply to those workers under current California laws.
- Updates on key 2019 California employment decisions.
7:30 – 8 AM | Registration/Breakfast
8 – 10 AM | Program
Please RSVP by May 3, 2019 to email@example.com
Advanced registration is required as seating is limited.
Continuing HR education certifications are pending approval.