ABA’s 43rd Forum on Franchising
Dawn Newton, franchise and distribution law specialist, will be co-presenting a program called “A Practical Vision of Trademark and Trade Dress Issues Affecting Franchised Businesses” at the ABA’s 43nd Annual Forum on Franchising on October 27, 2020.
In this in-depth intensive, learn how to protect a franchise system’s most valuable assets: its trademarks, service marks, and trade dress. Hear practical advice on selecting, promoting, and protecting marks and trade dress, including the impact of these decisions on litigation and whether to manage this process internally or to engage outside counsel. Topics will include:
- best practices for selecting, registering, and managing marks, both domestically and internationally;
- advising businesses interested in expanding under an established mark that is used by third parties in target markets;
- using watch notices and other policing strategies;
- responding to infringement scenarios ranging from obvious and intentional duplication to less clear instances of infringing use;
- developing trade dress that enhances the franchisor’s brand;
- drafting franchise agreement provisions related to the franchisor’s intellectual property; and
- the role of franchisees in protecting the system’s intellectual property from third party use, including actions they can take to protect their investment in the brand.
To view the full brochure, please click here.
Cellairis Franchise, Inc.
Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP
Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP