Philip M. Jelley Of Counsel (510) 451-3300 firstname.lastname@example.org Download vCardDownload Bio
Mr. Jelley is the president and sole shareholder of Philip M. Jelley, Inc., California professional law corporation.
Mr. Jelley is a member of the firm’s Business and Corporate Transactions Group as well as its Nonprofit Practice Group. For more than 60 years, he has focused his practice primarily on general business, tax and real estate issues. He was a California certified specialist in tax law for more than 25 years.
Mr. Jelley’s clients have included major retail stores, oil companies, ranching and agricultural operations, automobile dealerships, manufacturers, shopping centers, financial service organizations, cemeteries and mortuaries, and nonprofit and religious organizations.
- Representation of major oil company in negotiation of real estate acquisitions and leases, land use issues and various litigation matters.
- Representation of non-profit cemetery association in matters involving compliance with state legislation, oversight of endowment funds, disputes regarding grave and lot sales, Americans with Disabilities Act issues and toxic contamination issues.
- Representation of private family foundation in matters involving governance issues, supervision and monitoring of grant award process and insurance coverage questions.
- Representation of shopping center clients in negotiation of leases and in matters involving common area issues and appraisal questions.
- Representation of ranchers in matters of subsidies, pasturage leases, crop controls, dam construction, state regulations, land use matters and labor questions and water rights issues.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Board of Directors, San Francisco Opera, 1974-present
- Board of Directors, Santa Fe Opera, 1986-present
- President, Santa Fe Opera Foundation, 1994-2000
- Chair and Board of Directors, Church Divinity School, 1991-1999
- Board Member, Church Divinity School, 1976-1986, 1989-1999, 2000-2010
- Board of Directors and Treasurer, Graduate Theological Union, 1979-1990
- Judge, Ecclesiastical Court, Episcopal Diocese of California, 2008-2011
- Joint Disciplinary Board, Northern California, El Camino Real, San Joaquin, Episcopal Dioceses of California, 2011-present
- Board of Directors, Bishop's Ranch Episcopal Church Retreat Center, Healdsburg, CA
- Director, Sunset View Cemetery Association, El Cerrito, CA, 1962-present
- Chairman of Board of Directors, Sunset View Cemetery Association, El Cerrito, CA, 2012-present
- Conseil, Commaderie d' Bordeaux de San Francisco, 2008-2012
- President, San Francisco Chapter, International Wine & Food Society, 2002-2004
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Alameda County Bar Associations
- Awarded, AV® Preeminent™ (5.0 out of 5) peer-review rated, Martindale-Hubbell™
- Donahue Fitzgerald Ranked in Top Tier of 2021 “Best Law Firms”
- Donahue Fitzgerald Ranked in Top Tier of 2020 “Best Law Firms”
- Donahue Fitzgerald Ranked in Top Tier of 2019 “Best Law Firms”
- Donahue Fitzgerald Ranked in Top Tier of 2018 “Best Law Firms”
- Donahue Fitzgerald Ranked In Top Tier of 2017 “Best Law Firms”