Kurt Rifbjerg Associate (925) 746-7770 firstname.lastname@example.org Download vCard LinkedInDownload Bio
Kurt Rifbjerg focuses his practice in the trusts and estates field and is experienced in trust administrations, probate, estate planning, conservatorships, and related litigation matters. Kurt assists clients with the preparation of estate plans designed to achieve clients’ legacy goals and promote efficient administration of their trust and estate. He also represents lay trustees and professional fiduciaries in estate and trust administration.
Kurt has had success on various matters including:
- Prevailing at trial in a contested guardianship matter.
- Defending fiduciaries accused of breaches of fiduciary duties and obtained favorable resolutions or outright dismissals of such actions.
- Assisting clients in trust and will contests and obtaining favorable resolutions, including the imposition of a Whittlesey order enjoining the opposing party trustee from using trust funds to pay for their legal defense.
- Helping families navigate the conservatorship process by assisting clients with petitioning for a conservatorship and complying with applicable requirements thereafter.
- Obtaining relief in substituted judgment petitions to help ease the future administration of a conservatee’s assets after their death.
- Obtaining a nondischargeable judgment under 11 USC 523(a)(6) and collecting on said judgment.
Kurt is a member of the Contra Costa County Conflicts Panel and is appointed by the Contra Costa County Superior Court to represent persons alleged to be incapacitated in conservatorship matters. He previously served in such a role in San Diego County. He also represents young adults in limited conservatorship proceedings and enjoys helping these individuals with their first exposure to the legal system.
Kurt received his B.A. from University of California, San Diego, and his J.D. from California Western School of Law in downtown San Diego. He began his legal career in San Diego and practiced there until 2019 when he returned home to the Bay Area with his growing family. During his free time, Kurt enjoys cycling and studying 18th-20th century history.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Member, Contra Costa County Bar Association
- Member, East Bay Trusts and Estates Lawyers (EBTEL)
- Member, Contra Costa County Conflicts Panel
- Member, Trusts and Estates Section, California Lawyers Association
Past Speaking Engagements
- Don’t Leave a Mess – Professional Succession Planning for Attorneys and Fiduciaries (with Marguerite Lorenz CTFA CLPF#319); Probate Attorneys of San Diego, May 27, 2020